History

ecocruz-16The Bay of Islands, formerly known to Maori as Ipipiri, which translates as ‘many places’, was used by several iwi (tribes) from as early as the 10th century.

Permanent settlements are not thought to have appeared until the 13th century. Kororareaka, or ‘sweet little penguin’, now known as Russell, and Keri Keri are perhaps the best known of these settlements that were established long before Captain Cook – the first European to visit the area - named the Bay of Islands in 1769.